Tuesday 22 April 2014

Revelation 15

http://reversingverses.com/2012/10/23/psalm-11911/
"I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you." 
Psalm 119: 11 (NIV) 

When was the last time you memorized Scripture? Most of the Scripture that I remember today, I learned as child. We were encouraged to memorize; it was part of how Parkdale trained up children. In these days at Parkdale, Awana is doing this with gusto, and it is great to see, for I know firsthand the tremendous benefit in a person’s life from having the Words of God easily come to mind.

When we consider this verse in Psalm 119, we can see very easily that it isn’t talking about our mind - it is speaking about our heart. Now when we talk mind and heart we think about our organs - our brain and our blood pump - but when God speaks of our heart, He is speaking of that centre of our being. He is talking about that place where facts, emotion and will come together.

When a child memorizes Scripture they are memorizing “facts”, but it is only as we grow older, and experience emotions and start to make decisions (exercising our will), that this verse can begin to be truly applied. It starts as a mind thing - simple memorization of Words, and then it moves to a belief thing: do I believe these Words are actually facts? Then it moves to a will thing: can I align my actions with these Words despite my emotions?

Revelation 15:3 and 4 are an exception in my life, in the sense that as an adult I purposefully, and intentionally (at the urging of an older Christian brother) memorized these two verses. I found this extremely difficult to do. Even this morning as I recited these Words, before preparing to write this blog, I found myself unsure of the exact wording. But I must tell you that this intentional work on my part has brought about tremendous blessing in my life. It has caused me to worship my God in ways that I never did before. In the midst of dire circumstances, in the midst of great disappointment, to simply “bow” before my Lord and speak these Words to Him, has done and will continue to do a tremendous work in my heart.

Oh friend, will you join me and memorize Revelation 15:3,4 this week? Will you begin the long journey of putting this Scripture into your heart? It will be hard difficult work and yet you will be blessed beyond measure, as this verse meets your emotions and your will.
(Right click to save the image above to your computer, phone, or print it off to help you as you memorize.) 



No comments:

Post a Comment